Our blog has moved, and is new and improved.

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
MinnLawyerBlog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Push to exit -- and we mean PUSH!

Like many regular visitors to the Minnesota Judicial Center in St. Paul, I enter the building through its southeast side, from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. And as regular visitors to the building no doubt know, the doors to that entrance weigh approximately 10,000 lbs. each. I don’t know what kind of triple-reinforced armor they’re made out of, but they make the entrance to the average bank vault seem like a cottage screen door.

Usually I can muster the strength to open the doors if I remember to plant my feet and square my back, just as I was taught in the weight training unit of a long-ago gym class. But on a recent visit to the Judicial Center, in my haste I forgot to do those things as I exited, and not only did I walk square into the unyielding door, but my attempt to lightly push it open resulted in a gashed finger, thanks to a metal edge on the door frame. I briefly considered a personal injury action against the building’s management, but a quick mental survey of the legal minds within it made me reconsider.

I used to silently mock the able-bodied people who would insist on pushing the automatic door-opening button when entering the Judicial Center, but no more. Sometimes the path of least resistance really is the best way to go.

1 comment:

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Best wishes for a full recovery Dan, & I hope this injury doesn't keep you away from your Strat! (For those who don't know: Dan is a fine -- and i mean fine -- rock guitar player.