Our blog has moved, and is new and improved.

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
MinnLawyerBlog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

St. Thomas reverses course; Tutu invited to speak

University of St. Thomas President Rev. Dennis Dease reversed his earlier decision to bar Archbishop Desmond Tutu from speaking at the school because of Tutu's previous statements on Israel, the Star Tribune Reports. (Click here for the full Strib article.)

"I have wrestled with what is the right thing to do in this situation, and I have concluded that I made the wrong decision earlier this year not to invite the archbishop," Dease reportedly wrote in a letter to the St. Thomas community. "Although well-intentioned, I did not have all of the facts and points of view, but now I do." (Click here for the full text of Dease's letter.)

I commend Dease for admitting he made a mistake and reversing course. Only a big person can do something like that on such a public matter. His willingness to do so exemplifies the best traditions of the institution which he leads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this was a great decision -- to reinvite Tutu to speak. The Church and its affiliated institutions should encourage all dialogue on matters of peace and reconciliation -- even if they disagree with rhetorical style.